Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Day in a Life of Big Doodle

Big Doodle has a basic schedule.

He wakes up, paces, eats, paces, pets the dogs, paces, reads, paces, writes, paces, thinks, paces, and repeat.

There are only a small few times that this routine will be interrupted. When Papa Doodle or another family member will intertwine their plans with Big Doodle. For example, when Mama Doodle wants to go grocery shopping and needs someone to lift the dog food into the basket, Big Doodle will come along, and he will be happy to be of help.

Another time is when Big Doodle has a medical appointment of some kind.

The last way is the most interesting. It is when those really random and unpredictable events occur.

Last Wednesday is a perfect example.

Big Doodle was supposed to turn in a volunteer form to a rehabilitation center around the corner from our home down south. I had called him around noon to make sure he was going to turn it in, and give him a few words of encouragement. After a few minutes of walking him through what he should wear and how he should present himself, we hung up.

About an hour later I get a phone call from him, so I was expecting it to be about the volunteer situation.

Me: "Hello?"

Big Doodle:  "I'm very concerned."

Me: "About what? Did you turn that form in? I swear if you didn't..."

Big Doodle: "No, no. I'm feeling anxious about something else. The cats were attacking a bird in the back yard."

This was not exactly uncommon seeing as we have about six cats in our household- yes, we are crazy- so I didn't see the problem.

Me: "Okay...so what happened to the bird?"

Big Doodle: "I saved it."

Me: "You what? What do you mean you saved it? It survived?"

Big Doodle: "Well, it's injured. I ran out and saved it."

Me: "Wait, wait, whatever you do, don't touch the bird!"

Big Doodle: "S#*t! Oh God! Am I going to die!?"

Me: "Calm down, everything is fine. Where is the bird now?"

Big Doodle: "It's in my hat...in my room"

I couldn't help but laugh. The situation was so typical for the Doodle family, and so ridiculous. After clear instructions to Big Doodle to take the bird in his hat to the garage- without touching the bird itself- to go and thoroughly wash his hands, arms, and face I told him to just sit tight until Mama Doodle came home.

It is so funny to picture my brother, so innocent and kind, running in our backyard, and charging at his own cats to save a bird that he's never seen before. His intentions are always so pure. I love Big Doodle so much, more than he even knows.



To some, it may seem like Big Doodle needs me. Yeah, maybe he needs me to direct him in a fashion sense, and to be his support, but I need him more than he needs me. Sometimes I feel like I'm that bird that's being attacked, and just torn apart by what the world throws at me. Then there's Big Doodle to my rescue, knowing he may get a scratch himself in the process, but saves me anyway.

That's what big brothers are for. For those who don't have one of your own, I hope you have some sort of substitute. Because honestly, having a loving older brother is one of the greatest blessings anyone can ever have.

Even if he does call you in panic randomly because there's a bird that pooped in his hat after he saved it.


Until next time,

Snoodle Doodle Jr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment