Monday, October 10, 2011

New Discoveries

Today is Columbus Day- the anniversary of the day Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas. 

This weekend I did some searching and discovering of my own. I went with Koto to his home to visit his family. He grew up in a state cheering for the Redskins and the Capitals, meanwhile only miles away from where America's President sleeps.

The past few days may not have been as eventful as the days that Columbus was sailing the ocean blue, but it was enough to leave me feeling as tired as any sailor would.

There are three significant discoveries I made within the past few days.

1.) I really like hockey. Koto and his long time friend Peru bought the three of us Capitals tickets. This was essentially my first time to ever watch a hockey game, and between the fans and the watching the intense game unfold, I was hooked.  The Capitals came out with a nice win (although a little shaky at first) and it was a nice way to top off my first official hockey game.

2.) Arguments are only worth it if they are productive. Yeah, maybe I already understood that this is how arguments should be, but the thing is, most of the time fights are usually not like that. Koto and I had a few arguments this weekend, and even though they weren't necessarily our first fights, there was something significant about them. I can be pretty feisty or aggressive when I argue, and I do this awful thing where I say anything I can just to make the other person feel bad about themselves. Just from the experiences with past relationships, I have gotten away with this, but all it took was for Koto to calmly tell me I was being mean. Something so simple, but so effective somehow. After that, we worked through our little pickle and I felt better than I had before.

3.) I'm smitten. Yeah, I have loved Koto for quite some time now, but after three days with him non-stop and no break, I'm not sick of him in the least. In fact, I miss and love him more. We drove a total of 612 miles this weekend and the entire time we talked, sat in comfortable silence, or just listened to the music playing. He is so brilliant, special, and kind, I am amazed how he is satisfied with me.

All in all, I discovered a new sport that I enjoy, I accepted a fault of mine and look forward to improving my arguing methods, and most importantly, I discovered that I am just as smitten with a guy who claims to be smitten with me.

As far as I'm concerned, Columbus can keep his credit on the Americas. Pshh, what Columbus, you think you are so important because you discovered land that years later became an amazing country, and eventually developed into a nation full of powerful and important people? Take it. I got something better. I found myself a keeper.



Until Next Time,

Snoodle Doodle Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment