Monday, September 12, 2011

Bestie

Bestie and I met in the fourth grade during swim practice. It was the local club swim team and Bestie had been on the team for a few years prior, so she was a good swimmer already. I wasn't quite on her caliber at the time so I was in a few lanes over. After a few weeks though I was forced to move into my own age group and that was when Bestie and I became lane buddies. Little did I know, we would be lane buddies for the next eight years.

That January she invited me to her birthday party, and we became inseparable from then on.  Bestie and I truly compliment one another. With out the other we are not nearly as bold and daring. In high school we would always go on "adventures" at random times, whether it be leaving school during our lunch hour, skipping class, skipping practice, or just after school.

Exhibit A...





I will admit Bestie and I would sometimes be bad influences on one another. Bestie has a huge issue with authority, and has no shame in admitting it. She will make it very clear to any authority figure who she thinks is an idiot is, well,... an idiot.There was constant back talking with our swimming and/or waterpolo coaches through the years if she thought something was dumb or that she didn't want to do it. You'd think I would tell her something like "hey bestie, maybe we should be respectful to our elders." or some other cheesy heartfelt message that you would find on Full House. But no. Snoodle Doodle Jr. always encouraged her. In fact, I would get in trouble myself from time to time. We were a tag team- always egging the other to keep on fighting.

In our defense, we have encountered many crazy people. We had a high school coach who was an easy target to make fun of because he would make the most ridiculous comments or say extremely absurd things.

For instance, one day Bestie was late to morning practice so the entire boys and girls team had to go outside for a run and other workouts. One exercise we did was where you hold your feet six inches off the ground to work your abs. There were tons of mosquitoes out there that morning and we had them all over us, but we couldn't swat them away without Crazy Coach yelling at us.

Crazy Coach: "Awe what's the matter? Are those mosquitoes?"
(He was obviously being sarcastic and facetious and I wanted to round house kick him in the face)
Crazy Coach: "Well just don't breathe! They only want your blood!"

Don't breathe? What is that supposed to even mean? With a comment as weird as that one half the team dropped their legs and just started laughing. This of course made him even more upset but we didn't care. That small laugh was worth it.

Bestie and I are on opposite ends of the U.S. now going to school and playing waterpolo, and maybe Crazy Coach was a blessing in disguise. I have complete confidence that I will never encounter a coach that was as insane or made us do so many push-ups. Refer to story below...

One time Crazy Coach told  Bestie, a few others, and I to do 25,000 push ups before...and I swear he was completely serious. We in turn were very serious indeed. Every time he came to check on us to make sure we were doing them we'd say some random number like, "18,674....18,675....18,676..." It was a complete joke to us. 

Please do not think that Bestie and I did not work hard. Because we did. In fact by the time Bestie and I were senior captains our team had won state championships three years in a row. We just had an odd way of going about things sometimes.

Please also do not think that Bestie and I were always happy go lucky with one another. Boy, did we know how to push each others buttons.To be completely honest, I don't think after what we both have been through, most people would still be friends with one another.

But here we are now and my life wouldn't be the same without her.






Until next time,

Snoodle Doodle Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment