Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Remembering 9/11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oOW-1OwtCA&feature=related

On September 11, 2001 I was in my fourth grade P.E class when kids were beginning to be called to go home. One after another kids began to filter out, and by the time all our four square games were done almost ten kids had gone home. I vividly remember joking with my friends that there was a secret party going on that we weren't invited to.

As I found out a few hours later, there was no party. In fact, it was quite opposite. An awful series of events occurred leading to a heart wrenching disaster.  




Since this upcoming Sunday is the ten year anniversary of 9/11, there has probably been a lot of reminiscing going on. There is just so much to think about and remember. All the lives that were taken, and the effects of families and loved ones. We also think about our own personal memories of the time of the attacks. Then there are the thoughts that go into how something so tragic could happen to America and the situation she is in now after ten years.
The next week in class after the attacks, the whole fourth grade was given a pretty piece of paper that we were to record our personal stories and thoughts about 9/11.  I remember the teachers took it very seriously and had us perfect the writing. We put all our stories into a time capsule that the teachers buried on the school grounds. I don’t remember when it is supposed to be opened but I do remember what I wrote.

In my writing I gave some details of the kids leaving early, the teachers telling us the news, and my own parents who eventually sat with me that night to go into further explanation. Even though I was young when 9/11 happened, and I did not know much about terrorism and politics, I remember in my paper I wrote that America needs to come together as one country after this.

There will always be war, famine, and disaster in the world. The important thing is how countries overcome the chaos, and I believe that being united as a country will make things easier.



I don’t even know how to comprehend all that America has gone through the past ten years…but I do know that I take pride in my country and will always remember that day.


Until next time,


Snoodle Doodle Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment