Monday, September 12, 2011

Give it up to God

Today my favorite watch broke.



Well, actually it's my only watch (was) and it isn't even that nice. I got it for $15 at Target one day last year and wear it all the time. (wore)  I took it off when I went to go workout today and accidentally dropped it on the tile floor and it just broke. Just like that, my beautiful watch that I wore faithfully broke. I find myself glancing at my bare wrist and feel embarrassed for it because it is so naked now.

I was still bitter on my walk home from the gym when I thought about something Mama Doodle taught me. She said everything you have-it can be a physical item, a friendship, or a trait you have yourself- you "give it up" to God.

I learned this lesson one morning when I dropped Mama Doodle's favorite sugar bowl when I was trying to put sugar in my coffee. The small bowl matched perfectly with our grape themed kitchen and I knew how much she liked it. I was scared she would get on to me but I knew I had to be honest. So when she came into the kitchen a few minutes later I told her the truth.

Me: "Mama Doodle I accidentally broke your favorite sugar bowl! I'm so so so so sorry! I'll do the dishes for a week!"

To my surprise she just laughed.

Mama Doodle: "That's okay honey it's not a big deal."

But it was a big deal. She talked about that sugar bowl all the time and I remember how happy she was when she found it at Kholes one day.

Me: "Are you sure?"

Mama Doodle: "Yes, but if you want to do the dishes then by all means go right on ahead."

She then went on to explain that everything she gets, she gives it up to God. That way it's His and she doesn't have to worry about it anymore. She said that she doesn't want to be attached to materialistic things or be too worried about what she looks like all the time. So everything she once had now belongs to God. I thought this was pretty impressive because quite honestly I am very possessive of my food and books, and I have trouble imagining giving those up to anyone.

Mama Doodle: "What's something physical that you like about yourself?"

I hate questions like these even if it is only Mama Doodle.

Me: "I guess I like my hair." (at the time my hair was frizz free ringlet curly and not the uncontrolled mess that it is today)

Mama Doodle: "Well give it up to God then. That way if it gets taken away from you, you won't be as upset about it."

This was not only way over my head, but it almost brought me to tears thinking of someone cutting off my hair or something crazy like that.

Eventually I did grasp the concept of giving things up to God and it made me a happier and more care free person. Sometimes I forget to give things up to Him, and maybe that's why my watch broke today- to remind me to be less attached to materialistic items like a $15 watch and more focused on Him.

Or maybe it was just His way of saying it's time for a more sophisticated looking watch.



Until next time,

Snoodle Doodle Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment